History

The Phoenix Garden opened in 1984 and was created by the local community working together as the Covent Garden Open Spaces Association.  The site was bombed during the Blitz of London, and post-war, the damaged buildings were cleared and it was used as a car-park until 1983.  The Covent Garden Open Spaces Assoc. managed seven community created green spaces across Covent Garden; a Japanese garden, a Chess garden, a water garden, an Italian garden - all were war-damaged vacant lots that remained right up to the 1970's.  The Phoenix Garden is the last of the Covent Garden Community Gardens.

 

To find out more about the history of the garden, follow the links:

 

To find out more about the other Covent Garden community gardens, follow the links:

 

The history of the site has been researched by local historian and artist, Jane Palm-Gold.

 

The Leper Hospital, 1117 - 1539

 

19th & 20th Century

 

 

 

Comments are closed.